1 - 6
[+] DETROIT RIVER INTERNATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE GATEWAY
LOCATION: DETROIT RIVER
AWARDS: 2007 MICHIGAN RECREATION AND PARKS ASSOCIATION COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD, 2008 AMERICAN SOCIETY OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS- MICHIGAN PLANNING AND ANALYSIS AWARD, 2008 NOMA NATIONAL HONOR AWARD, 2008 AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS- LAS VEGAS MERIT AWARD, 2009 AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS- DETROIT HONOR AWARD,
The Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge encompasses 48 miles of combined Detroit River and western Lake Erie waterfront, providing a foothold for the river’s renaissance. A first of its kind, this acclaimed urban wildlife sanctuary shelters diverse coastal wetland habitats, preserving a wild place for numerous avian and aquatic species. Hamilton Anderson Associates, along with CDM and ASTI, assisted Wayne County Parks in developing a comprehensive master plan for the Gateway to the Wildlife Refuge Center on a 44-acre brownfield, the former site of Daimler Chrysler’s Chemical Plant in Trenton, Michigan.
Approximately one half of the site is man-made, created by filling operations started in the 1940’s. The plan proposes a visitor’s center providing offices for Wayne County Parks, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Detroit Audubon Society, the Michigan Sea Grant Program and Wayne County Community College. Classroom and laboratory space will be provided as well. The site and visitor center will serve as a demonstration project in sustainable design. The location lies immediately north of Humbug Marsh – 460 acres of unspoiled natural area. The Humbug Marsh and Island are recognized to be part of a sensitive Lower Detroit River ecosystem along with numerous islands, coastal wetlands and marshes. Diverse habitats found in this region provide a basis for its designation as an International Wildlife Refuge. The project is planned to achieve a LEED platinum certification rating from the USGBC.